OCC Launches Americana Album Chart
Last Thursday, the Official Charts Company launched the UK’s first dedicated Americana Album Chart in conjunction with the UK Americana Music Association (who hold their AMA Conference and Awards later this week). The new chart was revealed on Bob Harris’ BBC Radio 2 Country Show and will be published weekly on the Official Charts website.
Speaking about the launch of the new chart, Bob Harris said “I am so pleased to see the founding of a new Americana chart. It is important and appropriate that the popularity of this wonderful, vibrant and creative genre is acknowledged in this way.” Martin Talbot, of the Official Charts Company added “We are always looking for ways to spotlight specific areas of music consumption in the UK, and Americana is a genre that is thriving in terms of new artists and events across the country. The launch of the Americana Albums Chart will provide a fresh and official insight into yet another fascinating genre.”
The first weeks Official Americana Top 10 can be found below and we’re delighted to see includes two Proper distributed releases, The Ghosts of Highway 20 from Lucinda Williams and King Charles’ Gamble For A Rose.
- 1. Love Stuff – Elle King
- 2. The Ghosts of Highway 20 – Lucinda Williams
- 3. Gamble For A Rose – King Charles
- 4. Stay Gold – First Aid Kit
- 5. Carrie & Lowell – Sufjan Stevens
- 6. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats – Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
- 7. Islands – Bear’s Den
- 8. 1989 – Ryan Adams
- 9. Love You Honeybear – Father John Misty
- 10. Pond Scum – Bonnie Prince Billy